Lunar New Year
February 5 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
To commemorate the Year of the Rabbit, San Francisco Zoo & Gardens is thrilled to host Lunar New Year celebrations! Lunar New Year runs from January 22nd through February 5th, and during this time, we invite you to go on a Zodiac Scavenger Hunt through the Zoo to learn fun facts about the animals found on the Chinese calendar. Make sure to stop by the Animal Resource Center (ARC) in the Exploration Zone to see our rabbits, Lulu and Georgie, in the window in celebration of the Year of the Rabbit!
On February 5th, soak up the ambiance of the occasion and marvel at traditional Chinese lion and dragon dance performances.
Schedule of Dance Performances
- 11:00 a.m.
- 11:45 a.m.
- 12:30 p.m.
Fascinating Rabbit Facts
- Rabbits are small mammals of the order of lagomorphs.
- Lagomorphs are an order of animals which includes pikas, rabbits and hares.
- Lagomorphs have two sets of continually growing teeth
- Most lagomorphs are herbivores
- Rabbits are generally burrowers, with the exception of cottontail rabbits
- Young rabbits are born blind and helpless underground