By joining the Monarch Society, you create a legacy that will protect endangered animals and the environment. Help establish a love of nature and passion for wildlife in future generations.
The Monarch Society
The Monarch Society is named in honor of Monarch, the grizzly bear depicted on California’s state flag. Monarch resided in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park from 1889-1911 and became a symbol for threatened wildlife. He was the catalyst for Herbert Fleishhacker’s collection of animals that would, in 1929, become what is now the San Francisco Zoo.
The San Francisco Zoological Society (SFZS) extends membership in the Monarch Society in recognition for estate arrangements that support the San Francisco Zoo. Examples include:
- Including a gift to the SFZS in your will or living trust
- Designating the SFZS as the beneficiary of your retirement plan life insurance policy or life income trust
- Donating property to the SFZS with retained life use
Positive Impact of Your Gift
Your charitable estate planning results in several benefits, including:
- Establishing a permanent legacy reflecting your values
- Enabling nature-based experiences and education for future generations
- Reducing tax obligations pertaining to your estate
Continuing a Culture of Stewardship
The SFZS takes great pride in the generosity of our members and their support for our mission. The SFZS lists Members on the Zoo’s Donor Recognition Board in The Friend and Taube Family Entry Village. Monarch Society members are invited to the annual Director’s Reception and other exclusive Zoo events. Connecting people to and conserving wildlife requires coordination across generations, a value that Monarch Society members exemplify.
If you are considering a bequest gift, please call (415) 753-7173 x9 or email [email protected]. Our staff will be pleased to assist you and your legal counsel in developing the best structures to meet your bequest goals.