SF Zoo Summer Camp 2023: Frequently Asked Questions
Is this a sleep-over ‘camp’?
No. SF Zoo’s Summer Camp is a daily education program that runs on weekdays and does not involve overnights.
What are the hours of SF Zoo’s Summer Camp?
SF Zoo’s Summer Camp is held from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays. Pre-K is held from 9 a.m. – 12 noon on Mondays through Fridays.
What grade do I sign my child up for?
For Summer Zoo Camp, please sign your child up according to the grade that they will be entering in the next school year.
How many weeks can I sign up for?
SF’s Summer Zoo Camp is based on a one-week curriculum to ensure opportunity for all children in the Bay Area. Campers can be registered for up to two weeks of Camp, but note there may be some duplicate subject matter and activity.
Week 1: June 19-23
Week 2: June 26-June 30
NO CAMP the WEEK of July 4th
Week 3: July 10- July 14
Week 4: July 17- July 21
Week 5: July 24- July 28
Week 6: July 31-Aug 4
Week 7: Aug 7-Aug 11
What will my camper study daily?
Your camper will learn about animals and ecosystems, engage in a mix of structured and unstructured activities, make art, and play! Weather permitting, campers will spend the majority of their time outdoors exploring the Zoo.
What will my camper’s day look like?
Activities will vary depending on the day and age group, but the basic structure of the day is consistent. Here’s an example of what a day at Camp might look like for your camper:
8:45 – 9:15 am: Camper drop-off
9:15 – 9:40 am: Morning overview session
9:40- 10:30 am: Campers explore SF Zoo & Gardens
[ Snack time]
10:45 – 12:00 pm: Educational Programming
[Lunch and free play]
1:00 – 2:30 pm: Animal close-ups
2:30 – 2:45 pm: Organized games and activities
2:45 – 3:00 pm: Afternoon
3:15 – 3:30 pm: Camper pick-up
Are the children supervised at all times?
Yes, children are never left unsupervised while on Zoo grounds. Children must arrive and leave Zoo Camp with an authorized adult.
Can my 5-year-old and 10-year-old be place in the same group?
No. For benefit of the classes and the campers we follow strict guidelines on age ranges and grade levels.
Can we sign up with a friend?
Yes, when you register you will have the option to enter a friend’s name as a “buddy request”. We will do our best to accommodate requests, but cannot make guarantees.
Can you tell me if my child’s friend has already signed up for Zoo Camp?
No, privacy laws do not allow us to share enrollment information.
Will Aftercare be available?
Aftercare will be available for Summer 2023. Aftercare will be provided from 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. every camp day for a fee of $150/week. Online registration for Aftercare will be available in April.
What do campers do in Aftercare?
We provide a variety of activities in aftercare. Activities include puzzles, word searches, coloring pages, group projects, board games, books, coloring, nature shows, and/or Disney movies.
What is the camper to adult ratio?
There are up to 20 children in each camp group with 2 adult supervisors. (Younger camp groups may have more adult supervision from time-to-time.)
How much does it cost?
Fees are listed on the Zoo Camp webpage.
Can I become a member when I sign-up for camp?
You need to become a member before registering for camp. We are unable to retroactively apply the membership discounts, so please make sure that you know your member number before registering. Learn more about San Francisco Zoo Memberships here.
If you have a specific membership question, please email [email protected] or call 415-753-7097.
Members can use discount code MEMBER23 for full-day camps and MEMPREK23 for Pre-K camps.
Do you have scholarships or financial aid available?
Yes, we offer full and partial scholarships for Summer Zoo Camp. We will be accepting scholarship applications until April 10, 2023. The application will be open for submission on our Zoo Camp website, and you can email any questions to [email protected]. Applicants will hear back from Zoo Camp staff at the beginning of May.
Do I have to pay for parking at drop-off and pick-up?
No, we provide complimentary parking to the adult drivers who drop off or pick up summer campers
Can I switch weeks after registering?
Yes, as long as there is availability, but a $25 administrative fee applies each time you switch weeks after registering. There is a 24-hour grace period after registering where transfers are free.
What is the cancellation policy?
Cancellations must be received in writing by email.
- A 100% refund will be issued for cancellation requests received within 24 hours of registration. The timestamp on your email will serve as reference for potential refunds.
- A 75% refund will be issued for cancellation requests received by April 30, 2023. The non-refundable 25% will be forfeited completely and is non-transferable.
- A 50% refund will be issued for cancellation requests received by May 31, 2023. The non-refundable 50% will be forfeited completely and is non-transferable.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations starting June 1, 2023.
What COVID-19 health and safety precautions will be implemented?
· All Zoo staff, including Zoo Camp instructors and volunteers, are vaccinated against COVID-19. Participants must show proof of vaccination.
· Masking at the Zoo is not required. Masking is strongly encouraged in indoor spaces where social distancing may not be possible.
· If your camper tests positive for COVID-19 while attending camp, please let us know immediately. We will send out potential exposure emails to groups if known cases arise.
· If your camper tests positive or has any symptoms of illness, please keep them home. If symptoms arise while at camp, we will call the primary guardian listed to pick them up as soon as possible. In the interim, we will ask the child to wear a mask, remove them from the camp group and have them stay with an adult supervisor. We ask that ill campers remain at home until symptoms subside.
· As always, regular handwashing and sanitizing will occur throughout the day.
What is the San Francisoco Zoo’s Tax ID number?
Our non-profit entity is “San Francisco Zoological Society,” and our tax ID is 94-1429538.