Form and Function
- Single-celled, trumpet-shaped, uniformly ciliated microorganisms.
- One of the largest protozoa at 2mm – visible to the naked eye.
- Live in freshwater, free-swimming or attached to submerged vegetation.
- They change into an oval or pear shape when swimming.
- Cilia leads food into the mouth opening.
- A small fragment of a stentor, less than one-hundredth of the volume of an adult, can grow back into a complete organism.
Location in the Zoo
Water Zone of the Sculpture Learning Plaza