- They have cilia on their oral end and a contracting stalk on the other.
- The stalk contracts in a corkscrew shape as a defense mechanism.
- Vorticella feed on bacteria and small protozoans.
- If food is scarce, they can detach themselves to find a new location.
Form and Function
- Single-celled, stalked, bell-shaped microorganism.
- Live in fresh or salt water attached to aquatic plants, surface scum, submerged objects, or aquatic animals.
- Congregate in large colonies, but each vorticella stays independent.
Location in the Zoo
Water Zone of the Sculpture Learning Plaza